Sunday, September 13, 2015

Kate and and Mario Bash 9/7/2015

Dear Family and Friends, 

This week was interesting. It was really good at the same time. We really have been praying and looking for more opportunities to serve the members. (Careful what you pray for). We are trying to work better through the members. In Preach My Gospel it says there is a better way to teach the gospel other than walking in the streets and contacting---it is though the members. But, in order to find new people to teach through members, you need to know them, and they need to know you, and trust you. 

So Spain being Spain of course, we had some really ruff, get your hands kinda dirty, service opportunities this week. 

First one was for a less active member and her big Mario birthday bash for her son. She owns a cake shop, and so for her living she makes cakes, and goodies for big events such as weddings and birthdays. So of course, for her 5 year old boy turning 6, she had to throw a huge party...like huge. I doubt my wedding will be as grand as this Mario bash. We helped her set up and clean up for her party, which took way longer than I thought was possible. 

The party started at 4:30 and 20 minutes before, I get a call from this lady (the mother hosting) and she tells me she is still working on the big Mario cake and will be a little late. She tells me to wait for the party guests and keep them entertained? "Hold up. Que va chica. En su suenos." Is what I wanted to say. But we just kept setting up and waited. Then we get another call 5 min before 4:30 and it's a member in the ward, and this is what he tells us, "Hey, the party is now going to start at 5:30." 

That was okay with me, it's not like it's my party, or that we were going to stay. But when everyone showed up at 4:30 asking us what to do, or where the party hosts are, I was confused at why we were the only ones informed about the time change. We're the only ones the time change doesn't affect, because we were just there to set up and clean up? Madre Mia. It was crazy. I don't know how else to say it. We were running around frantically trying to finish set up everything (the chocolate fountain...gave me the most troubles). As we were doing this, a member in the ward laughed and kept following us around, laughed, and repeated in English. every five minutes, "ha ha welcome to Spain!" Thanks bud. 

Although afterwards, being pooped and stressed, we felt it was worth it. The member was so grateful, and our investigators came as well, which was good because it gave us the opportunity to introduce her to the bishop and ward members. Because really, this birthday party was like a big ward party. That's just how all parties roll here. 

Our second opportunity to serve was another ruff one. We went to visit another less active, and as we came, she rushed to us in her towel (just getting out of the shower #i felt weird beso-ing her) and she said, "I'm so glad you here, sorry I don't have much time to talk. Something came up, but could you please help me?" Vale...so I thought. Moments later, she was sitting in a chair, and there we were blowing drying and curling her hair for a party she had to go to. As that man said before, "Welcome to Spain!" 

Although I'm not digging wells to help a small village have fresh water...I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve the members here. Small or big we're blessed to be having service opportunities. 

I'm really happy. 

The other day in Church, in fast and testimony meeting, I realized that, I really love it here, and I love the people. I feel so blessed. My companion is honestly so great and super duper funny. I don't know if I'm just getting homesick, but she really reminds me of Sara! First my sister, and now my cousin...But really, when I say someone reminds me of someone from my family, right there alone shows how cool they are. 

Lately, I've been thinking about family history work. I really want to encourage investigators, members, and everyone do do it. “I hope to see us dissolve the artificial boundary line, we so often place between missionary work and temple and genealogical work, because it is the same great redemptive work!” - Spencer W. Kimball 

So my advice is do your family history, and invite/help others to do it! That's a brilliant way of being a missionary! One of the best, because when you do, you have the other side of the veil helping you. 

Love, Hermana Kelemen 

No comments:

Post a Comment