Monday, February 1, 2016

No More Weird Sounds 1/25/2016

Dear family and friends, 

My companion has a new goal for me this week, not to yell so much—and to be a bit more normal. I don't know if you remember family, but I love to yell and make loud sounds when I'm happy in the house; and I have fallen back into that habit when I'm in the piso. (I know mom just did a hand to the face when she just read that).

My foot is now almost better. My companion made me buy this band to wear on my foot. I told her wearing a 'magic' sock wasn't going to to anything. But weirdly it did. 

This week was a bit long because again none of our investigators could meet because they were sick or out of town. But all is well. We found some cool people this week. 

Something I've learned this week, 
I've been studying a lot about the spirit. Sometimes I pray and seek for council and sometimes I feel like I'm not getting answers. And then I worry that I'm not listening to the spirit. But this week I found a talk that I love and was an answer for me:

"Actually, He will reply in one of three ways. First, you can feel the peace, comfort, and assurance that confirm that your decision is right. Or second, you can sense that unsettled feeling, the stupor of thought, indicating that your choice is wrong. Or third--and this is the difficult one--you can feel no response. What do you do when you have prepared carefully, have prayed fervently, waited a reasonable time for a response, and still do not feel an answer? You may want to express thanks when that occurs, for it is an evidence of His trust. When you are living worthily and your choice is consistent with the Savior’s teachings and you need to act, proceed with trust. As you are sensitive to the promptings of the Spirit, one of two things will certainly occur at the appropriate time: either the stupor of thought will come, indicating an improper choice, or the peace or the burning in the bosom will be felt, confirming that your choice was correct. When you are living righteously and are acting with trust, God will not let you proceed too far without a warning impression if you have made the wrong decision.

I love this, I feel like most of the times, as a missionary, I get the third answer. The Lord wants me to come up with an idea. Sometimes my ideas aren't the best, and I need to think of a new one, and a new one, until I get it right. Like when Nephi was commanded to go back to get the plates with his brothers. Why didn't God deliver Nephi the plates the first time? Why didn't Nephi just get an answer the first time of how to get the plates? 

Because we are here to grow. The point isn't just to give us all the answers when we need them. That's not a good teacher. I had a math teacher in high school and whenever we had a question about a problem he just gave us the answer, yes, no, a, b, c, 25, or -6. We loved it because he freely gave us the answers to our homework. We thought that was the definition of a 'good teacher'. But of course it backfired quick, and when it came to the test, we had no idea what to do. A good teacher doesn't give you the answers, but rather shows you how to find it. I'm trying to work the same way with the investigators we have. And not just give them the answers, but show them the chapter where to find it and let them do it. 

So if you feel like you're not getting an answer and your putting in all your effort, give thanks, God trusts you! And then work it out, and if it's not right he will help you until you figure it out. 

Yikes transfers are this weekend and I think I will die if Hermana Campillo leaves. I'm crossing my fingers hard, cuz she is the funniest person ever! She is me but in Spaniard form and I am her in American form. That's the only way I know how to explain it. 

I love you, Thanks for everything. 
Love, Hermana Kelemen

No comments:

Post a Comment